Whether you are looking to save money, or just want a hands-on wedding planning experience, there are many DIY projects that can be cost-efficient add charm to your wedding.
About.com provides this list of DIY wedding tasks:
- Wedding Favors
- Simple Floral and Candle Centerpieces
- Cupcakes (instead of a wedding cake)
- Ring Pillow
- Flower Girl Basket
- Using an Ipod instead of an MP3 player. (Enlist a tech-savvy friend to make sure your first dance song, entrance music, cake cutting music etc. is playing at the right time)
- Bridal Hair and Makeup
- Save the Date Cards, Programs, and Seating Cards
- A decorated guest book, card box, photo album, or other keepsake
Not every DIY project will be as successful or as inexpensive as hiring someone else to do it. You’ll be surprised to find that some projects are cheaper for the experts to do, and others can be extremely affordable, depending on the materials you use.
It is also recommend that the bride limit the amount of projects she decides to take on. One project per month is a good way to pace yourself, and make sure you are done with all projects at least a couple weeks before the wedding. You don’t want to be stressed out over unfinished projects the week before you wedding!
Here are some things that are best left to the pros:
- Large Flower Arrangements and Centerpieces
- Your Wedding Dress
- A Wedding Cake
There are endless wedding sites and blogs that can offer creative DIY ideas. Here are a few sites to get you started: